PetDogPlanet.com is an Amazon Associate, and we earn from qualifying purchases.
Taking your dog on adventures is a great way to bond with your dog. When you take them on an outing, you’re showing them that you care about their well-being and are willing to spend time with them in any situation that is required.
It is the right way for you to get to know your pet, especially if the dog you’re taking along with is a newer member of the family. You may also enjoy seeing your pet explore and react to a new environment.
- Dog Harnesses Vs. Dog Collars – Which One Should You Get
- 8 Must-Know Tips For Hiking with Dogs
- Dog Hiking Gear: 5 Essentials For Every Type
- Choosing the Best Dog Sports Gear for Cold Weather Adventures
- 7 Reasons Why Adopting Dogs Can Change the Lives of Senior Citizens
One of the most important things when going on an adventure with your pet is making sure you have the right gear. However, you’ll find that there are so many options when you’re buying dog gear. Here are some of the things you should consider when choosing adventure gear for your pets to help you out.
Last update on 2023-12-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Purpose Of The Gear
The most important thing to consider when buying adventure gear for your pet is what purpose you need the gear to serve. For example, if you’re going out to explore a place during the colder months, you’ll have to make sure your dog is outfitted correctly. One way to do this is by buying your pet booties to protect their delicate paws and buying a body-warming suit to help protect your dog from the harsh weather. Companies like Hurtta Canada sell raincoats to help keep your dog dry and comfortable and trail packs in case you need your dog to help carry supplies.
2. Your Dog’s Size
One thing you want to do for sure before buying any gear gets your dog’s size right. There are several different ways to measure your dog. Furthermore, different types of gear will require you to measure different parts of your dog. For example, when choosing the right collar size, you’ll only need your dog’s neck measurements, while a harness will require you to measure your dog’s neck, chest, and body circumference.
Buying gear that is too small for your dog can hurt them and will only lead to you spending more time and money getting the appropriate item. Buying gear that is too big might mean that it won’t correctly and may even injure your pet.
3. Materials Used In Making The Gear
There are all kinds of outdoor gear that you can buy for your pup, and there are hundreds of materials to pick from. It’s hard to pick what material is best over the others because they all have their purpose and benefits. Some of these materials include:
- Reflective Materials– These materials are useful when you are in an area with low visibility. They’ll help you keep an eye on your pet.
- Water Proof Materials– The weather can be too unpredictable in some parts of the world. You don’t want to get caught out in the rain and not have anything to help keep your pet safe. That is why many outdoor gear companies make gear with waterproof materials to ensure your dog is safe and comfortable at all times.
- Warm Clothing Fibers– Even though your pet has fur, they’re still vulnerable to the cold and extreme temperatures. This is why it’s necessary to have the proper gear to keep your dog warm.
4. The Terrain You Will Be Exploring
Another essential factor you should consider when going on an adventure with your furry friend is the terrain you’ll be exploring. Dogs are extremely tough animals and can take on some of the harshest terrains. However, you still want to take extra measures when exploring dangerous terrains. One right way to do this is by buying your dog boots or feet coverings to protect their paws if you will be walking unmarked terrain, in the heat or the snow. These terrains can cause burns, cuts, and even blisters.
One of the most important things to consider when you are going on an outdoor adventure with your pet is the material’s visibility. Many companies make special outdoor gear to increase you and your pet’s visibility. Most companies choose to do this by using bright neon colors for the gear and reflective material. This type of gear will come in handy and help ensure you and your dog’s safety when exploring areas of low visibility or if you are out and about after dark.
Taking your furry friend on adventures can be a great way to exercise your pet and help them get the fresh air they need. Although dogs seem tough and resilient, they’re just as vulnerable to the weather and other conditions as humans are. Making sure your dog has the right gear for your adventure will go a long way in protecting your pet’s body and health. Consider the above factors to ensure the gear you buy will serve its purpose and have your dog feeling comfortable during your next adventure.