You know an industry is thriving when it caters to humans and animals! CBD for pets is one of the hottest trends of the last few years. It is a market that has already started to explode and seems sure to maintain an upward trajectory.
According to the Brightfield Group, the CBD for the pets market grew from $8 million in 2017 to $32 million just a year later. This is only the beginning, however. Brightfield believes that the industry could swell to over $1 billion in the United States alone by 2022.
In many ways, it is not a shock that CBD for dogs and cats is so popular. In America alone, pet owners spend around $33 billion on food and treats per annum! There are over 76 million dogs and 58 million cats in the U.S. This equates to a lot of potential customers!
One report from Nielsen Holdings offered the following insights:
- Over a quarter of American adults who own a dog use a CBD product derived from hemp.
- Pet owners don’t mind splashing out. The average price per pound of CBD dog treats is over double the cost of a ‘typical’ treat.
- The price of dog tinctures and powders is around double that of cats. Perhaps it is demand, but it is hard to say why CBD for cats is cheaper.
Why Do People Buy CBD for Pets?
Like humans, pets have an endocannabinoid system (ECS). It is part of all the body’s primary physiological systems. The ECS’s main function is to ensure the body remains in a state of balance. As is the case with people, pets are healthier and more relaxed when their ECS is in good shape. This report, published in Animals in September 2019, offers an insight into the ECS of animals.
People invest in CBD for dogs and cats for various reasons. They include:
- Reducing Anxiety: Yes, pets get anxious, just like humans! A prime example is when they become startled by loud noises. Have you ever seen a frightened animal? They can get symptoms such as sweaty paws and begin ripping things up with their claws. Proponents of CBD for pets claim that it helps animals feel more relaxed.
- Improved Digestion: There are many endocannabinoid receptors in the digestive systems of humans and animals. In theory, CBD for cats and dogs could help them become ‘regular’ when they have constipation.
- Better Skin: In the body, the skin is the largest organ. If your pet’s skin is looking unhealthy, CBD could boost its appearance.
Other issues that pet owners use CBD for their furry friends include:
- Loss of appetite
You will notice that these are similar to the reasons why humans use CBD. Again, it makes sense since both humans and animals have an ECS. It is an exciting market in many ways. Devoted pet owners will do almost anything for their animals. However, there is one question we need an answer to.
Is CBD for Pets Safe?
The CBD for dogs and cats market is already huge and growing rapidly. Evidence that directly shows the benefits of CBD on pets is relatively scarce. The level of anecdotal evidence is enormous, but clinical data is less apparent.
However, there is some data. A study published in Frontiers in Veterinary Science in July 2018 looked at the efficacy, safety, and pharmacokinetics of CBD in dogs with osteoarthritis. Overall, the researchers found that CBD for dogs resulted in a significant decrease in pain. The canines also showed a significantly higher level of activity after using the cannabidiol. Moreover, there were no observable side effects.
This is positive news. However, it was a small study, and more research is needed. Perhaps a more significant danger is the gap in quality amongst CBD for pets. The industry remains unregulated, which means the standard of product varies enormously. When considering CBD for your pet, try to find answers to the following questions:
- What is THC content? It must be a maximum of 0.3% in the United States, and 0.2% in some European countries like the United Kingdom.
- Does the brand offer third-party lab reports? Can you view the Certificate of Analysis before making a purchase?
- Do these products have any legitimate customer reviews?
- Does the CBD come from organically grown hemp?
- Are there any artificial preservatives, pesticides, or heavy metals in the product?
You should only purchase once you know the information above. One option is to buy from Premium Jane. It is a brand that ticks all the right boxes when it comes to CBD for pets. Its collection includes hemp dog treats and bacon-flavored CBD oil. All products come with full third-party lab reports.